Friday, January 17, 2014

Mable The Monarch

While working on descriptions for our new critters, I discovered the story behind the monarch's inspiration.



Crow's story:

High school. P.E. class, it was out on the tennis courts.



While we were in the middle of practicing our serves, I saw this monarch butterfly float by. I had to stop the ball from being served to not hit the butterfly. About thirty seconds after, I saw two more float by. I heard a commotion to my left, and turned. There was a cloud of monarchs going through the tennis courts. A lot of the people were ducking and running so the butterflies wouldn’t hit them but I just stood there going ‘wow, there is a cloud of monarchs going by’. There were about a hundred in the courts. It took a few minutes for them to pass, so we could start up our tennis lesson again. They did this for five days in a row, so either they were flying in circles or there were five different groups.



I felt like I was standing in a black and orange fog bank. They were so dense I had trouble seeing the sunlight. Only a few of us were brave enough to stand there. I expected that many wings to make noise, but it was silent. Well, they were silent at least.



It was an oh-shiny moment. It was amazing and exciting.

1 comment:

  1. All I could think was: WOW! A Monarch cloud! Somewhere in reading I wished you'd have grown wings to fly with them... Suddenly I realized: you have! Now I'm thankful for that.

    ReplyDelete